It’s right that we focus on inclusive growth, as for Leeds to be truly successful we need everyone living in the city to have the opportunity to flourish. This means focussing on tackling inequality, supporting all sections of our society into better jobs, raising skill levels and making Leeds an attractive place to start, scale, innovate and invest in a business. It also means helping people to live healthy and active lives, creating a transport system that means people don’t need a car to get to work and ensuring nobody is left behind in the transition to a net zero economy.
Our Big Ideas
Our previous growth strategy was published in 2018 and focussed on three priorities: people, place and productivity. Since then we’ve worked hard to deliver growth throughout a really challenging economic period. To continue this mission we refined our priorities into nine Big Ideas which are the foundation of our strategy.
We are one of the most collaborative cities in Europe and believe Leeds has developed a reputation as the place people come to try things out. This strategy will help us deliver our Best City Ambition to tackle poverty and inequality and to improve the quality of life for everyone who calls Leeds home. Our Team Leeds approach has meant we’ve developed strong partnerships that have been fundamental in delivering inclusive growth.
As a city we have a lot to be proud of and we have some big achievements to our name over the previous few years.
- Over the last ten years we've built over £4billion worth of large large-scale development projects.
- Through Connecting Leeds we have completed £750million investment into decarbonising transport, creating healthier streets, spaces and communities.
- Throughout 2023 we have unleashed our Year of Culture.
- Since welcoming Channel 4 to the city, we now have one of the fastest growing Film and TV sectors in the UK.
- Our journey to Net Zero continues at pace and we have secured over £100m grant funding since we declared the climate emergency in 2019.
And much more...